WordPress 3.4.1 was released a couple of days ago and introduced a few new features along with some maintenance and security updates.
Some of the new features include the ability to preview customisations to a theme before activating it on your website, but only if you’ve first installed the theme. This feature might be more useful as a way of previewing customisations of your existing current theme.
Easily reduce header heights
Customisable headers will be well received by some who might be running the Twenty Eleven theme, which has a large header by default. It is now very easy to tweak the height of that banner, or width even.
Easy embeddable tweets
Embedded tweets is another new addition providing an easy way of embedding of single tweets into your posts – simply paste the URL of a tweet on one line.
Captions now with links!
Captions have been improved too with the added ability to use basic HTML, allowing links in captions!
Here are some of the maintenance fixes in the WordPress 3.4.1 update:
- Fixes an issue where a theme’s page templates were sometimes not detected.
- Addresses problems with some category permalink structures.
- Adds early support for uploading images on iOS 6 devices.
- Allows for a technique commonly used by plugins to detect a network-wide activation.
- Better compatibility with servers running certain versions of PHP (5.2.4, 5.4) or with uncommon setups (safe mode, open_basedir), which had caused warnings or in some cases prevented emails from being sent.
Read the full post at the WordPress blog: WordPress 3.4.1 Maintenance and Security Release